Activated charcoal is the latest ingredient to take the beauty industry by storm — giving other hipster favorites like clay and coconut oil a run for their money. And now the black residue is being used in everything from teeth-whitening solutions to a lemonade cleanse, and even as the key ingredient in an expensive new facial.
Activated charcoal, created when oxygen is added to regular charcoal, is mostly used in the medical community to treat poison, GI tract infections and nausea. Regular charcoal, like the bricks you barbecue with, is used in everything from water filters to vacuum cleaners.
Charcoal is known to absorb 100 to 200 times its weight in impurities, making it an excellent natural ingredient to help purify and deep-clean skin charcoal as a soft powder mask after extractions with claims that it helps draw out toxins.
How anxious are you to try this new fad? Get to it… its very very awesome, and PinkRay approved!
Here’s a simple recipe for a Charcoal Face Mask. NOTE: it can get messy and stain if you’re not careful. BE VIGILANT (and don’t wear white ;0)).
- 1-2 tablespoons of Activated Charcoal powder (from capsules)
- 1-1.5 tablespoons of lemon juice or aloe vera juice or distilled water
- 1 Q-Tip (to apply mask)
- Put 1-2 tablespoons of the activated charcoal powder in a shot glass
- Slowly add the lemon/aloe juice/water until you have a creamy paste. You want a thick consistency! Don’t add all your liquid at once, add a few drops at a time. Stir slowly to ensure your powder doesn’t make a mess.
- Once you have your desired consistency, use the Q-Tip and apply the mixture to your face in an even layer, making sure there are no lumps of charcoal.
- Once the mask is applied, leave it on your face until it dries completely. Again, BE CAREFUL at the point. Once the mask hardens it will start to crack and crumble as you move your face.
- After your mask has dried, go into the bathroom and move your face around. Brush the powder off your face and then wash off with warm water.
- Swipe with toner to remove all traces of unwanted powder, and MOISTURIZE.
- Feel the softness of your baby-butt skin and thank PinkRay for her awesomeness of sharing. xox