- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds red new potatoes, sliced 1 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Finely chop garlic, and sprinkle with salt. Using a chef’s knife, press flat side of blade back and forth across garlic to make a paste. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in thyme and 1 tablespoon oil.
- On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss potatoes with garlic mixture; bake until browned on underside, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet or grill pan over high. Season steaks (cut into 4 equal pieces) with salt and pepper, and cook (in two batches if necessary) until medium-rare, 3 to 6 minutes per side (depending on thickness of steak). Transfer to a plate to rest.
- While steaks rest, make salad: In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, Dijon, and remaining oil; season with salt and pepper. Serve steaks with potatoes and salad.