Here’s a simple and handy technique to trapping and eliminating those pesky fruit flies from your house:
- Using a medium-sized ziplock bag, place any sliced fruit or vegetable in the zip-lock bag (slice of banana, etc)
- Place the “trap” on top of your kitchen counter overnight, keeping it partially opened
- By morning you will see all, or a big majority, of the fruit flies inside the bag!
- Seal the zip-lock slowly and discretely so as not to disturb the hungry little guys and discard it immediately.
- Spray your house-hold plants with soapy water, that will eliminate any remaining pests, and will not affect the life of your plants.
- Keep your kitchen counters and sink as clean as possible. Also refrigerate or store any foods that you would usually keep out.
Here are a few little “fun” facts about fruit flies you should definitely be aware of:
- There are over 500 species of fruit flies, mostly through mutation
- Their lifespan lasts between one week and 30 days
- They often lay their eggs in ripened or rotten food, fermenting sugar material and, more-likely, the garbage bin.
- They can lay up to 400 eggs at any given time.
- They are not healty little things, and can bring disease into your home.
Any other tips or facts you’re aware of? Please share with us!!